Notice of Intention to Designate the Former Campden Public School

NOTICE OF INTENTION TO DESIGNATE

TAKE NOTICE that Council of the Corporation of the Town of Lincoln intends to designate the following property under Part IV of the Ontario Heritage Act:

FORMER CAMPDEN PUBLIC SCHOOL
4160 FLY ROAD

THE REASON for the proposed designation is to recognize the cultural heritage value or interest of the original 1874-75 school building.  The building meets Ontario Regulation 9/06, the provincial criteria prescribed for municipal designation under all three categories of design, associative and contextual value.

The former Campden School, built in 1874-75, is the second schoolhouse to occupy this location in Campden (formerly Moyer’s Corners), replacing a timber frame, one-room, schoolhouse constructed in 1855. Campden School served the community from 1874 until 2013 from which time it continued to serve as a private education institution.

The Campden Public School was constructed at the direction of the School Section No. 6 Trustees and at the time of construction represented a high standard in school construction often exceeding prevailing nineteenth century provincial requirements and regulations with respect to siting and design.

Constructed by local craftsmen, several of which belonged to the Moyer family, early settlers in the area, the large school was built to a simple, symmetrical, rectilinear plan with side gables and a cross gable over a centrally placed, projecting frontispiece containing separate entrances for boys and girls. The schoolhouse comprised a symmetrical façade constructed of red brick set on a stone foundation. The front (north) façade comprised three symmetrically bays each containing two round-headed arch windows with brick voussoirs over the windows and key stones as an additional feature used in the projecting bay. The east and west side façades also featured two symmetrically placed round-headed arch windows. Brickwork was laid in a running or stretcher bond on the front façade and in a Flemish stretcher bond at the sides and rear. The schoolhouse is essentially of vernacular construction but is influenced by the Italianate and Gothic Revival styles notably in decorative window, doorway, roof and gable features.

The Campden Public School was constructed as a large school for its time and for a considerable period, nearly a century and half, has been both a local landmark serving as part of the eastern entrance to Campden as well as a building that is linked to its surroundings and contributes to area character in the use of materials, height and building form.

ANY PERSON may within thirty (30) days of the publication of this notice, send by registered mail or deliver to the Clerk of The Corporation of the Town of Lincoln his or her objection to the proposed designation, together with a statement of the reasons for the objection and all relevant facts.  If a Notice of Objection is received, the Council of The Corporation of the Town of Lincoln will refer the matter to the Conservation Review Board for a hearing and report.

FURTHER INFORMATION respecting the proposed designation is available from the municipality by contacting Monika Cocchiara, Senior Policy and Development Planner at (905) 563-8205 Ext 270 or by email mcocchiara@lincoln.ca

THIS NOTICE PUBLISHED on the 24th day of October 2017.

William Kolasa,

Town of Lincoln

Director of Corporate Services/Clerk,

4800 South Service Road, Beamsville ON L0R 1B1.

4800 South Service Road
Beamsville, Ontario
L0R 1B1
  

TEL: 905-563-8205
FAX: 905-563-6566
Emergency After-hours: 905-641-0971
info@lincoln.ca

  AAA
  
Powered by CivicWeb CMS - © Copyright 2013 iCompass Technologies Inc.